Helping Clients Deal With Issues Of Paternity

Paternity disputes are often difficult for everyone involved: the mother, the father and certainly the child. However, if you are a mother in dire need of child support or a father seeking parental rights and custody, a paternity action may be your best and only option.

If you have questions about establishing paternity in Florida, the team of dedicated legal professionals at Wanda J. Morgan, P.A., is here to provide you with answers. While we strive to reach amicable resolutions in all of our family law cases ― particularly when children are involved ― attorney Wanda J. Morgan possesses the skill and experience needed to litigate your case when necessary. Do not trust your case to a less capable lawyer.

How Is Paternity Established In Florida?

Under Florida law, if a mother is married when she has a child, her husband is presumed to be the child's father. However, when the mother is not married, there are a couple of ways to establish paternity.

First, if the mother and father agree on the issue of paternity, they can sign a document known as a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity. Once signed, either party has 60 days to change their mind and rescind the acknowledgment. But, after the 60 days has passed, the signed acknowledgment can only be challenged if a parent can show evidence of fraud or duress.

If the parents cannot agree as to paternity, either the father or the mother can ask the court to establish paternity for them, in which case a DNA test may come into play.

What Happens If A Mother's Husband Is Not The Biological Father?

As mentioned earlier, if a child is born while his or her parents are married, the husband is presumed to be the child's father ― meaning he will possess all parental rights. Even if another man is actually the child's biological father, he will likely not have any parental rights if the husband is not open to it.

In many cases, the only way for a biological father to seek parental rights is if the legal father ― the mother's husband ― agrees to voluntarily disassociate or disestablish paternity.

Contact Wanda J. Morgan, P.A., For Legal Guidance Today

As the information above illustrates, paternity disputes are often complex and difficult to understand. To speak to an experienced paternity attorney today, contact Wanda J. Morgan, P.A. You can reach us online or by calling 850-613-6923. We serve clients in Fort Walton Beach, Shalimar, Destin and the surrounding area.